A brief history of Seaton Carew GC


1873 – The first minutes of Durham & Yorkshire Golf Club are recorded.

1885 – Proposal to build a Clubhouse.

1886 – James Kay appointed as Professional.

1887 – Name changed to Seaton Carew Golf Club.

1891 – Death of founder, Dr. Duncan McCuaig

1891 - Course extended from 14 to 18 holes.

1898 – Exhibition Match between James Kay & Harry Vardon.

1900 – Exhibition Match between James Kay & James Braid.

1905 – Seaton Carew Golf Club Ladies section formed & clubhouse extended.

1908 – Seaton Carew Artisans Golf Club formed.

1914 - 7th Cyclist Btn. Devon Regt. Billeted in Clubhouse.

1924 – Dr. Alister Mackenzie submits new course design.

1927 – James Kay retires as Professional.

1930 – Visit by HRH Prince Edward, The Prince of Wales.

1937 – Visit by Walter Hagen & Joe Kirkwood.

1962 – Artisans amalgamated into main Golf Club.

1965 – Club purchases the land on which it is situated.

1969 – First competition for the Seaton Salver.

1974 – Seaton Carew Golf Club celebrates its Centenary.

1985 – Seaton Carew GC hosts The Brabazon Trophy.

2014 – Seaton Carew GC hosts The Brabazon Trophy for second time.

News
  • England legend graces the links
    newsthumbnail
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book?

Our booking system will make it easy for you.
Course Status
Currently open
08.08.2020 06:30
View Status
Visitors between 09:00-17:00 weekdays & 12:00-17:00 weekends. Bookable 5 days in advance. Clubhouse bar open for food & drinks between 09:00-22:30. Locker Rooms open for toilets & storage of clubs.