A brief history of Seaton Carew Golf Club

These are some of the significant events in the Club's history.

Year Event
1874 First miinutes of Durham & Yorkshire Golf Club recorded
1885 Proposal to build a new Club House
1886 James Kay appointed as Professional
1887 Name changed to Seaton Carew Golf Club
1891 Death of founder, Dr Duncan McCuaig
1891 Course extended from 14 to 18 holes
1898 Exhibition match between James Kay & Harry Vardon
1900 Exhibition match between James Kay & James Braid
1905 SCGC Ladies Section formed & clubhouse extended
1908 SCGC Artisans Section formed
1914 7th Cyclist Btn. Devon Regt. billeted in clubhouse
1924 Dr Alister MacKenzie submits new course design
1927 James Kay retires as Professional
1930 Visit by HRH Prince Edward, Prince of Wales
1937 Visit by Walter Hagen & Joe Kirkwood
1962 Artisans amalgamated into maiin Golf Club
1965 Club purchases most of the land on which it's situated
1969 Seaton Salver introduced
1974 Seaton Carew Golf Club celebrates its centenary
1985 Club hosts the Brabazon Trophy for first time
2014 Club hosts the Brabazon Trophy for second time